creating beauty and warmth where you live

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Goal-Setting for 2011

Setting New Years resolutions does not work for me. Like most people, by mid-January I cannot even tell you what my resolutions were much less if I was keeping them.  In my opinion, most New Years resolutions are simply too vague. 


However, I do believe the best way to predict your future is to create it.  Thus, I regularly take time to reflect upon my life.  What do I like?  What do I not like?  How are things going with my home, my family and my work.  What about my personal development?  In the coming months, what do I want more of or less of??   I may do this several times a year, not just at the start of a new year.  


How I am most successful in creating change and growth in my life is by setting goals. 
Did you know that,  
Goals are dreams with a time frame attached to them?  


A goal destined for success is one that is realistic, measurable, and time-specific.  The more specific or measurable the goal the more likely your success for realizing that goal.  


For example, perhaps you have always dreamed of renovating your kitchen.  This is a huge undertaking and a project you wouldn't begin without serious planning.  To realize that dream you would begin by doing your research.  What type of renovation?  Cosmetic or a full-gut of existing kitchen?  Are you going to do the work yourself of hire a contractor?  You would gather prices or bids, and create a realistic budget you can live with.  You would organize pictures for inspiration and ideas, etc.     

Then you would put a time frame on it.  When would you begin the project and most importantly, when would you like to end?  Otherwise, you may be experiencing Christmas 2011 in an unfinished renovation.  You break down the project into steps then each step into a task list.  By the end of your planning you should have the big picture: a finished kitchen renovation with all the baby steps you need to take to get there.

The same is true if you want to go back to school, write a book or start a business.  First, you determine the goal, set your time frame, then you write your map to get there.  In essence, what must you do today or this week to realize that dream?  Is this making sense to you?  All I can say is that this process works for me.  

Zig Ziglar says, "With definite goals you release your own power, and things start happening."                    

Below is a link for a great worksheet I have used many times both for myself and clients in helping to set goals.  Simply click on link, then scroll down to 2011-The Power of Goals.







On another note, as you can see from the photos we are continuing to enjoy the winter storm here in Georgia.  Although, I now understand cabin fever on a whole new level! :-) 

I would love to hear what goals you have set for the coming months.  
Has this information been helpful?  
Would you like to read more posts like this? 

Do stay safe and warm!  Thanks for stopping by!

Libby~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment