creating beauty and warmth where you live

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New Frame For A Favorite Horse Print

Don't know why, but I have always liked art of English hunt scenes.  Am I from England? No.  Do I ride horses? No. Am I a fan of English and European decor?  Yes.  Do I like all things related to horses?  Yes and yes.

This is a hunt scene print we have had for some time.  It hangs over our fireplace.  The artist is George Wright, it is called Crossing The Ford and it was printed in Italy.


I really like the colors in this print.  The muted and various shades of green, blue and golden yellow.  Black and brown with a pop of red.   Very pleasing to me.  

Although I liked the print, I did not care for the frame it was in.  Blah. Boring.  And please, not a gold-colored band thing-y around it.  See the close-up?

This is how the mantel looked awhile back.  I always felt the picture called for a frame with more oomph.  Ya know?

I guess you know where this is leading.  Right, we found a more suitable frame!  We purchased it at a consignment store at 50% off.  We paid less than $15.00 for it.  It had this print in it with a green mat in a wooden black frame.  I actually like this print so I am holding on to it.  

Here is a close-up of the frame. 

We used the green mat and my husband removed some of the black from the wooden frame to reveal more of the wood-grain.  

And here is the after.  You get the idea although this is not a great picture.  For some reason the green mat is looking dark blue on my computer.  It is not blue, more of a hunter green.   
Probably should have turned off the spot-light we have on.  Anyway....

I did a little updating of the mantel.  I kept the tall candle sticks.  I like these for the height they bring to the mantel.  They previously were a putty color and I sprayed painted them brown.  I brought in some old Readers Digest books.  Kept the succulents I bought at Michael's Craft Stores that I had taken a sponge brush and white paint to.  I brought my small brown and white transfer ware ironstone pitcher from another place in the home.  I added a white oval platter on the other side.  

Overall I am much happier with the new frame.  I think it is a big improvement but I have a feeling we aren't fully done with this project. 

On a completely different note and totally unrelated....I had the pleasure of attending a local Atlanta bloggers luncheon last Saturday.  It was put together by Rhoda of Southern Hospitality who has recently relocated to the area.  Here we are all together.  Some bloggers and some readers.  It was a lot of fun and I think the beginning of something special!

I am linking up to Kim at Savvy Southern Style, who was at the luncheon too, for Wow Us Wednesdays and Linda at Coastal Charm for Thrifty Nifty Tuesdays! 



 

Thanks for stopping by!  Libby~

8 comments:

  1. Me too! Love hunt scene art work. Yours looks great in the new frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, I love hunt scenes, too. I am always drawn to them when I see them. I missed out on two beauties at the antique mall. I was hoping they would still be there, but no. Yours looks great. Thanks for joining the party and it was great meeting you. Sorry we didn't get to visit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wonderful print looks great i the frame!...More important!...so cool you have the artist name...I have an oil painting for my christmas display &my niece was sitting under it over the holidays and googled the artis name...seems he has had stuff sold @ Christies!....I olu bought it for $15...so you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hunt scene and the frame is stunning. The mantel vignette is beautiful. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Libby I love love your mantel! Love your new framed artwork too! Just became your newest follower, would love it if you followed back:) Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks like a million bucks, hubby did a great job of distressing. By gosh they come in handy sometimes LOL!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is much better! The right frame can make all the difference in how a print or painting looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Libby! I'm so glad I stopped by for a Wow! You certainly did it. Such a transformation. Love the subject (horses and dogs) and the colors. The mantel just pops.
    Hope you can stop by for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete