creating beauty and warmth where you live

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chalk Board Projects

For some time I have enjoyed reading how others in blog land used chalk board paint for different projects around the home.  Janelle of Isabella and Max Rooms talked about it here with her Family Message Center.    Leanne at Organize and Decorate Everything showed us how to make Chalk Board Tags here.   Marian at Miss Mustard Seed showed us how to make Chalkboard Kitchen Canisters hereLeslie from Goodbye House Hello Home showed how she painted a whole wall to use as a chalkboard here

Anyway, all of this chalkboard talk whetted my appetite to do something with chalkboard paint too.  I decided I wanted chalkboard labels for my white kitchen canisters.  But because I am always looking for easier, simpler, I thought why not just buy chalk board labels.  So, I first began visiting local craft stores hoping to buy chalkboard labels.  

No. Nuh-huh.  Doesn't exist or out of stock for-eva!  Finally, I happened upon some chalkboard Wallies on clearance (60%!!) at Hancock Fabrics.  The pieces were for a children's bedroom.  But I figured I could improvise.



So I gathered my supplies. I found some shapes I liked online.  My daughter helped me graduate the sizes using photo shop. 



I traced around the shape with red ink then cut them out. 
easy peasy and no spray paint involved  
I got the look I wanted without using paint.  And here is the finished project:



I think projects like these just add fun and personality to your home.  Don't you?  I then decided to go a step further  'cause I still wanted to try out chalkboard spray paint.  I purchased some old picture frames from my local thrift store.

I brought them home and disassembled them, meaning I took the art out of the frame.  Here they are laid out on drop cloth.



And I laid out all my spray paint.  Some of the frames I painted brown, some black and one red.  After the frames dried I then sanded and distressed them.  On some I applied gold Rub 'n Buff.  Some of the frames I primed and some I didn't. I learned that if you are going to distress something you painted, it might be easier not to prime as the prime makes the paint adhere better.  I definitely wanted an aged and weathered look so I chose not to prime the next ones.  

The "art" or backing of the picture I painted with either black or green KRYLON chalkboard paint.  It took 3 light coats to sufficiently cover them.  I found the chalk board spray paint at my local Ace Hardware. I apologize that I didn't take more pictures during the process.  I then reassembled the frames and here are a few pictures of what I came up with.

     


Neat, huh?  These have been listed in my shop, Vintage Townsquare and two have already sold!  I will definitely be making more and listing them soon.  Chalkboards are especially fun to have around during the holidays, to keep track of your to-do list, write a message to your guests or simply post your holiday greeting.  You can also answer the never ending question, "What is for dinner?" 

Growing up my mom had a black chalkboard hanging in the kitchen for messages to family members and grocery shopping lists. It is still there today, 40+ years later!   

Check back later this week as I am doing a nice give away for my shop, Vintage Townsquare.  You don't want to miss it!

What projects have you done using chalkboard paint?  Do you use a chalkboard in your home somewhere? 

Thanks for stopping by!  Libby 



   

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I need to do this on my glass four and sugar jars in the kitchen! I also loved your Thanksgiving table. Very pretty. I can't wait to explore your blog!

    ReplyDelete